Friday, May 30, 2014

Kangaroo Cuddles - Benefits for both mother and baby

It has long been known that Kangaroo cuddles help prem and sick babies. Having that close skin to skin contact helps to steading their heart beats and settle their breathing.  That feeling of closeness releasing calming hormones, and increase bonding. It is not as well known the benefits of skin to skin kangaroo cuddles for the mother as well. Here is a photo of me having a Kangaroo cuddle with Marcella while I was on life support. Marcella was stable and I wasn't. The medical team didn't think I would make it at that point, and wanted to bring us together incase I didn't make it. As soon as they put her on my chest the nurses said that I lifted my head and rubbed my chin on her head. I have vague memories of this. For that point I started to improve.  

You can read my full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment